Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cubbing - October 13th, 2010


Day 28 of Cubbing - October 13th, 2010

Meet: Herr's Stone Lane

Temps: in the 60's

Couples: 19 1/2 couples

Staff:
MFH- James Paxson, Staff - Hoppy Sterns, Priscilla Godsoe, Dott Cochran,Charlie Fleischmann, Field Master Duncan Patterson, Gary Kennedy, Hound Trucks - Karen Kennedy and Leo and Flora Erb

Start: 8:30am
End: 10:35am

Yeee ha!

What a great day! Hounds got rocking and rolling and took us from the stream in Barkers woods, through Jims Clear Woods, around the old house and through the Bone Woods, up toward Jims Pasture, flying across the Stone Lane, under the Power Lines, into the edge of Peirsons Woods and then across Peirsons Over Grown Field, into the woods below the Cemetery, toward 'The Animal Kingdom' and the fox went to ground!

Phew what a great run!

The hounds touched on a bit before that but that run was really great. The most exciting part to me was being near the hole and seeing all 39 hounds there as a group.. its really great to see them all working together and trusting one another.

On a side note: as I was whipping today I came up through the Cemetery, and thank goodness I decided to go right instead of straight over this hill to speed up my short cut to get to the hounds before they got to Freemont Road... When I crested the hill I saw that someone was getting 'planted' this day.

There were four guys watching me ride through the back end of the Cemetery, they heard the hounds but where not expecting me to come popping up over the hill. As it ended up they stopped their 'planting' and came over towards the over grown field near where the fox went to ground and the guys watched the hounds work.

I decided the best thing to do after we moved the hounds back to MFH Jimmy was that I should go talk to the guys at the Cemetery and explain that I wanted to get to the road before all 39 hounds did...

The four guys were all smiles and the first thing they said, before I said a thing, was that they loved to hear the hounds and they were so impressed that the hounds actually ran together not even taking a look at the two deer that were where the fox was put to ground.

I felt pretty proud of our hounds today... and its a good feeling to see people happy, even in a cemetery!

No comments:

Post a Comment