Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

'Gone Away' a tribute to Beazie

It wasn’t hard to tell
I could see it in her eyes
She was ready for some hunt’n
Almost saying her good byes
She watched me with her eyes
And she gave her tail a wiggle

As I looked down at her and smiled
A great hound - we all know that
I reached down to pet her
I saw that look in her eyes
She was always there to please
Always there to try

"Not today” I told her
“We are just going to stay here a while”
I looked down at her ragged ears
All ripped a part by briers
And I noticed all those grey hairs
that had come in around her eyes

She was kind - yet tough
Strong - yet lean
She had a fire in her eyes
She was always running strong on front
Until the years crept on her so
And slowly you would see her
As the seasons came and went

She was falling back into the pack
But right there to set them right
She never missed an outing
And all harked on all right!
The puppies came and went
They would trail behind her so

And slowly they too went on,
Knowing all that she would know.
Her stride was getting shorter
Her feet more spread apart
She had seen so many fox hunts
And covered many a mile.

As she laid there on her blanket
And looked up at me again
I put my hands on her
And pet her velvet soft head
I could feel the dreaded tears come on
And my chest aching so

She left us to go hunting,
There is a great pack up there ya know
She will be up there at the front
And running with the best,
Until I get to join her
In the great fox hunt in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment